There’s been a bunch of exciting news regarding Emmanuel’s Dream lately, and I wanted to share it all with you…
First, it was recently selected as a Notable Book in the Children’s Africana Book Awards! One of my all-time favorite picture books—One Plastic Bag by Miranda Paul—was similarly recognized, which makes this honor even more special.
Emmanuel’s Dream was also listed in the CCBC Choices 2016 by the Cooperative Children’s Book Center and in the Bank Street College of Education’s Best Children’s Books of the Year for ages 5–9!
It was a finalist for the 2015 CYBILS (Children’s and Young Adult Bloggers’ Literary) Awards in the Elementary/Middle Grade Non-Fiction category. I’ve helped judge this category several times, but obviously had to bow out this year! Since I know firsthand what a thorough, careful job the judges do to select the finalists, it was truly a thrill to have my book recognized for this award.
Emmanuel’s Dream has started showing up on some state lists around the country, too, which means even more kids will be reading it. That’s super exciting! Some of the state honors I’m aware of so far include:
- Recipient of a 2015 Eureka Honor Award from the California Reading Association,
- a Star North Nominee in the Minnesota Youth Reading Awards,
- a nominee for the 2016–2017 Black-Eyed Susan Book Award by the Maryland Association of School Librarians
- a Transitional Non-Fiction Honor Book in the 2015 Maryland Blue Crab Young Reader Awards
- a finalist for the 2016–2017 Georgia Children’s Picturebook (Gr. K‑4) Award, and
- a nominee for the 2016–2017 Nebraska Golden Sower Award (Primary)
Last, but certainly not least, I’ve learned that Emmanuel’s Dream will be published in Korean! One thing I always dreamed of was having my books published in another country, and now I’ve got two (a Japanese version of My Dog Is the Best should be coming soon, too).